ROISD Temperature Protocol
While outdoor activity is strongly encouraged for all students, there may be times when it is necessary to suspend outdoor activity due to weather conditions.
All of our current local temperature, including wind chill and heat index are obtained at the following site: National Weather Service website.
HOT WEATHER PROTOCOL
When there is excessive heat, the following guidelines will be used to determine whether students can participate in outdoor activities, including but not limited to recess and physical education:
- Students will not be allowed outside if the temperature and/or the temperature index is 95 degrees Fahrenheit or above.
- Any time the temperature/heat index rises above 85 degrees, we will use precautions and may limit exercise time and intensity of the activity. Students must have access to water during and after outdoor activity.
COLD WEATHER PROTOCOL
When there is excessive cold weather, the following procedures will be used for determining whether students can participate in outdoor activities, including but not limited to recess and physical education:
- Students will not be allowed outside if the temperature and/or wind chill factor is below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If at any time a campus staff member determines a student does not have sufficient warm clothing for outdoor activities, the student could be excused from outside activity.
** Secondary students who are being purposefully acclimated to outside conditions for co-curricular activities will use guidelines by coaches, trainers and/or sponsors. All students will be monitored and student safety will be the highest priority for all decisions.
* Certain students and staff members may need to take even more precautions. Please contact your campus nurse for further information.