- Red Oak Independent School District
- Back to School Information
Back to School Information
The first day of school is Wednesday, August 16, 2023.
On this page, you can find enrollment information for new and returning students, school supply lists, dress code, important back-to-school dates, & other helpful links related to the 2023-2024 school year. We are looking forward to another great year at ROISD! If you have any questions, please contact your child's school or ROISD Administration at 972-617-2941.
See the tabs below for Back to School Information for the 2023-24 School Year.
The Hawk Headliner is now available ONLINE and a printed version will be sent to area homes!
We will be sending a link to all parents so they can download a copy for home!
It contains information for getting ready for the 2023-2024 school year — school calendar, supply lists, campus lists, immunization requirements, advanced academic information, fall sports schedules, and much more.
Click the icon below to preview a copy of the 2023-2024 Hawk Headliner.
RED OAK ISD ADMINISTRATION
109 W. Red Oak Road, Red Oak, TX 75154
Brenda Sanford, Superintendent – email@example.com
- Brenda Sanford, Superintendent
- Michelle Ailara, Deputy Superintendent
- Kevin Freels, Assistant Superintendent of District Operations
- Dr. Bill Johnston, Assistant Superintendent of Business Services/CFO
- Michelle Owen, Executive Director of School Leadership
- Beth Trimble, Chief Communications Officer
- Megan Corns, Chief Technology Officer
- District Website: Visit the Website for up-to-date calendars, activities, and information. Plus, sign up online for the ROISD App and receive emails about school and district activities, check menus, transportation routes, and more.
- Facebook: ROISD: /redoakisd Athletics: /RedOakAthletics
- Instagram: /redoakisd
- YouTube: ROISDHawks
- Twitter: ROISD @redoakisd ROISD Athletics @roisdathletics
First day of school is Wednesday, August 16th.
INCLEMENT WEATHER / EMERGENCY ALERTS
In the event of inclement weather, Red Oak ISD officials will notify the media by 6 a.m. of the day in question. In addition, the district utilizes a parent alert system to contact all Red Oak ISD families as well as the district App and website, social media, and local media. The first bell rings at the time listed; the tardy bell rings five minutes later.
Red Oak ISD has a standardized dress code for all grades and all campuses. In general, students may wear collared, polo-style, button-up, or T-shirts in any color, print, pattern, or graphic. Bottoms must be jeans, slacks, capris, or pants or shorts in any color. Clothing cannot show through to exposed skin nor can it contain inappropriate words or graphics. Sleeveless or spaghetti straps, halters, tube tops, tanks, cropped/half shirts; pajamas; house shoes/slippers are not allowed.
For safety purposes, no hoodies/hoods, hats, or head coverings (except religious) will be allowed; students will not be allowed to wear a hoodie in the building – it must be taken off before entering; student IDs must be visible at all times; and secondary backpacks must be clear (preferred for elementary as well). For complete details, see the District website – https://www.redoakisd.org/Page/4505.
STUDENT ATHLETICS and EXTRA-CURRICULARS
Seventh- through twelfth-graders are eligible to participate in University Interscholastic League (UIL) competitive athletics.
ALL student-athletes, fine arts, and other UIL competitors must have a new (2023-24) physical form, the medical history portion of the UIL physical completed, parental acknowledgment form, and emergency information on file BEFORE the first practice.
Drug Testing for 2023-24
All students in extra-curricular activities must have the parental consent form on file BEFORE participating in any extra-curricular activity. Random drug testing of all active extra-curricular students will be conducted during the year per FNF Board Policy.
Transportation is available for students living two (2) or more miles from their home schools. For more information, visit the Transportation website at https://www.redoakisd.org/Page/2005 and, if needed, complete the online transportation request forms. For additional information, contact the ROISD Transportation Department.
AFTER THE BELL
Red Oak ISD offers an after-school program called After the Bell for students in grades
K-5 at each elementary school from the end of school until 6 p.m. For program rates and details visit https://www.redoakisd.org/Page/1937 or contact your school for availability and registration.
Red Oak ISD Back to School BASH – Saturday, August 5 from 8:30-11:30 a.m.
At Red Oak High School - courtyard, cafeteria, PAC, and more! FREE immunizations and health screenings, plus a limited supply of clear backpacks and school supplies for Red Oak ISD students who meet eligibility criteria (must be currently enrolled). Assistance is available for those needing to enroll (new) or register a returning student.
- Visit with over 100 District and community vendors
- Buy your spirit shirts and sweatshirts
- Enjoy fun games and activities for the whole family
- Sample student nutrition food, and
- Support the Mighty Hawk Band with food purchases!
Meet the Teacher - All Elementary Schools
Thursday, August 14, 2022, 6-7 p.m. at each campus
During this time, you will be able to meet your child’s teacher and drop off their school supplies (lists available online).
Events and schedules for Secondary Schools
Schedules and/or class assignments for 2023-24 will not be released to your child until the online registration process is complete, including the two (2) Proof of Residency documentation.
Red Oak Middle School
- Talon Camp for 6th Grade Students (and 7/8 students new to ROISD)
Thursday, July 27 (Pick one)
- AM SESSION – 8 - 11:30 a.m.
- PM SESSION- 12:30 - 4 p.m.
- Schedule Pickup - ROMS Main Cafe
- Parent Meeting at 6 p.m. each night!
- Students MUST have a ID photo taken and ID picked up BEFORE your schedule will be released. IDs MUST be worn and visible beginning on the first day of school.
- 6th Grade – Monday, August 7, 12 - 8 p.m.
- 7th Grade – Tuesday, August 8, 12 - 8 p.m.
- 8th Grade – Thursday, August 10, 12 - 8 p.m.
- ROMS 101
- ROMS 101 - 6th Grade Families - Thursday, Aug. 31, 6-8 p.m.
- ROMS 101 - 7th Grade Families - Tuesday, August 29, 6-8 p.m.
- ROMS 101 - 8th Grade Families - Monday, August 28, 6-8 p.m.
Red Oak High School
Students MUST have a photo ID taken and the ID picked up BEFORE the schedule is released. IDs are worn and visible on the 1st day of school.
- Hawk Freshman (9th graders) Camp & Schedule Pickup
Tuesday, August 9 ROHS PAC
- 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. or 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
- Freshman Parent Camp – Tuesday, August 8
- 9 - 11 a.m. or 3 - 5 p.m., ROHS PAC
- The camp will cover ROHS expectations for the ABCDs – attire, badges, Chromebooks, and discipline - plus PTSA, All Pro Dads, school events, and more
*Students must have completed all pre-registration and residency requirements to pick up their schedule. See below for more details*
In order to pick up student schedules the following has to be completed:
- Returning Student Registration – if they do not have access to a device, they can come to the campus and use a school device.
The following link can be used for easy access to the Skyward Family Access log in page:
- Provide two current Proofs of Residency
Required documents for proof of residency are:
- Current mortgage, tax receipt, lease/rental agreement, or buyer’s contract AND
- Current water, electricity, or gas bill (NO telephone or cable bills) with a visible, labeled service address (Hint: TXU Electric bill has the service address on the 2nd or 3rd page).
*Remember – current is defined as within the last 30 calendar days.
If you are not able to attach the required documentation to the registration, you can text or email copies of the requested documentation to: Rohs.firstname.lastname@example.org
As always, the proof of residency can also be dropped off at the student’s campus.
- Attend a “Hawk Talk with the Principal” information session.
At some point during orientation, students must attend a session. The sessions will be offered at 9am, 11am, 3pm, and 5pm. (approximately 30-45 minutes).
We look forward to seeing you on Tuesday. If you have any questions about orientation please feel free to reach out to Coach Harakal at email@example.com or Angela Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Schedule Pickup – ROHS Main Café
Two options each day by grade: 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. or 2 - 6 p.m.
All schedule pickups will start in the ROHS PAC
Required Meeting 8 - 8:45 a.m. or 2 - 2:45 p.m. to acquire schedule
10th Grade – Monday, August 7
11th Grade – Thursday, August 10
12th Grade – Friday, August 11
Meet the Hawks
Wednesday, August 23 at 7 p.m. at Goodloe Stadium
Come and meet the 2023-24 Hawks Fall Sports Teams, buy your Hawks spirit wear, and enjoy some fun!
ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS (PreK-5 grades)
- 725 E. Ovilla Road, Red Oak, Texas 75154
- Principal: Rachel Rector
Red Oak Elementary
- 200 Valley Ridge Drive, Red Oak, Texas, 75154
- Principal: Merilee Stone
Russell P. Schupmann Elementary
- 401 E. Ovilla Road, Glenn Heights, Texas 75154
- Principal: Ashley Jackson
Donald T. Shields Elementary
- 223 W. Ovilla Road, Glenn Heights, Texas, 75154
- Principal: Allyson Bell
H.A. Wooden Elementary
- 200 Louise Ritter Blvd., Red Oak, Texas, 75154
- Principal: Jessica Trezza
MIDDLE SCHOOL (6-8th grades)
- Red Oak Middle School
- 154 Louise Ritter Blvd. Red Oak, Texas, 75154
- Principal: Rob Waller
HIGH SCHOOLS (9-12th grades)
- Red Oak High School
- 220 South SH 342, Red Oak, Texas, 75154
- Principal: Howard Gatewood
PROOF OF RESIDENCY
ALL RETURNING AND NEW STUDENTS must provide two (2) Proof of Residency documents as part of the New Student Enrollment or Returning Student Registration process. ROISD defines current documentation as anything within the last 30 calendar days. The parent or legal guardian must present two (2) Proof of Residency documents in the Attendance Zone of the school where they are seeking enrollment/registration in the form of one or more of the following:
- Current water, electricity, or gas bill (no telephone bills) indicating the address and the parent/guardian's name;
- The most recent tax receipt indicating home ownership;
- A current lease or rental agreement;
- Other timely documents that indicate location of residence, as approved by the campus principal;
- A copy of parent or legal guardian's current Texas Driver's License or Government issued ID. The name and address on current Driver's License or Government ID must match the name and address on the proof of residency presented.
New Student Enrollment (all grades)
Enrollment for students NEW to Red Oak ISD.
- Only students who are legal residents of Red Oak ISD and between the ages of 5-21 (as of September 1) are eligible for enrollment into ROISD.
- Complete the New Student Online Enrollment process.
- Contact the zoned campus to bring enrollment documents.
- Bring your documentation to the campus at a scheduled time or before start date. (Documents must be brought to the campus for review before online application will be approved.)
- DOCUMENTS TO BRING TO CAMPUS (upload into online portal if able to)
- Parent’s Driver’s License or Texas ID Card
- Student’s Proof of Identity
- Immunization/Vaccination Record
- Two (2) Proofs of Residency (ROISD defines current documentation as anything within the last 30 calendar days.)
- Current Electric, Gas or Water Bill
- Current Rental or Lease Agreement
- Most recent Tax Receipt
Children must be four years of age as of September 1 of the current school year and must meet one (1) of the following requirements:
- Be unable to speak and comprehend the English language;
- Be educationally disadvantaged (eligible to participate in the National School Lunch Program [NSLP];
- Be homeless;
- Be the child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserved component of the armed forces, who is ordered to active duty by proper authority;
- Be the child of a member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserved component of the armed forces, who was injured or killed while serving on active duty;
- Have ever been in the conservatorship of the Texas DFPS (foster care) following an adversary hearing,
- Is the child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas Award such as:
- a peace officer under Section 3106.002, Government Code; or
- a firefighter under Section 3106.003, Government Code; or
- an emergency medical first responder under Section 3106.004, Government Code.
The ROISD School Board meets at 7 p.m. on the third Monday of each month (unless otherwise posted) at the ROISD Education Service Center, 109 W. Red Oak Road.
ROISD School Board
- President - John Anderson, Place 3
- Vice President - Melanie Petersen, Place 7
- Secretary - Michelle Porter, Place 6
- Donna Knight, Place 1
- Johnny Knight, Place 4
- Sean Kelly, Place 5
- Brian Sebring, Place 2
BOARD MEETING DATES
Meetings start at 7 p.m. in the Board Room, 109 W. Red Oak Rd., Red Oak, TX
- Monday, August 21
- Monday, September 18
- Monday, October 23*
- Monday, November 13*
- Monday, December 18
- Monday, January 22*
- Monday, February 26*
- Monday, March 25*
- Monday, April 15
- Monday, May 13*
- Monday, June 17
- Monday, July 15
Elementary Schools, Pre-K to 5th - 7:20 a.m. - 3:05 p.m.
Red Oak Middle School, 6th to 8th - 7:55 a.m. - 3:45 p.m.
Red Oak High School, 9th to 12th - 8:20 a.m. - 4:20 p.m.
SIX WEEKS SCHEDULE
- 1st six weeks — Aug. 16 - Sept. 22
- 2nd six weeks — Sept. 25 - Nov. 3
- 3rd six weeks — Nov. 6 - Dec. 19
- 4th six weeks — Jan. 8 - Feb. 15
- 5th six weeks — Feb. 20 - April 5
- 6th six weeks — April 9 - May 22
IMPORTANT SCHOOL DATES
First Day of School, Aug. 16
Labor Day Holiday, Sept. 4
Early Release/Staff Development Day, Sept. 7
Staff Development Day (no school), Sept. 8
Parent-Teacher Conferences (no school), Sept. 29
Early Release (Homecoming), Oct. 6
District Holiday (State Fair), Oct. 13
Staff Development Day (no school), Oct. 27
District Holiday, Nov. 10
Staff Development Day (no school), Nov. 17
Thanksgiving Break, Nov. 20-24
End of First Semester, Dec. 19
Winter Break, Dec. 20-Jan. 3
Staff Development Days (no school), Jan. 4-5
Start of Second Semester, Jan. 8
MLK Holiday, Jan. 15
District Holiday, Feb. 2
District Holiday, Feb. 16
Presidents Day Holiday, Feb. 19
Spring Break, March 11-15
Good Friday Holiday, Easter, March 29, April 1
Staff Development Day (no school), April 8
District Holiday, April 19
Last Day of School, May 22
Staff Development Day (no school), May 23-24
Memorial Day Holiday, May 27
BREAKFAST AND LUNCH INFORMATION
Red Oak ISD provides nutritious breakfast and lunches through the federal meal program for all students (Grades PreK-12). Menus are available at each school and online.
STUDENT MEAL PRICES:
- Breakfast – Elementary and Middle School $1.40; High School $1.60
- Lunch - Elementary $2.90; Middle School $3.00; High School $3.10
STAFF AND VISITOR MEAL PRICES:
- Breakfast – $3.00; Lunch - $4.00
The free, federal universal program ended in 2021-2022. Applications for free or reduced meal prices for the 2023-24 school year open July 1, 2023.
Red Oak ISD uses the SchoolCafe student meal account platform for meals and payments. Parents can now apply for free or reduced meals, check student balances, view menus, and add/transfer funds to their student’s account – all in one easy login. Students who have overdrawn accounts will receive alternative, reduced-cost meals which will still meet the required nutritional values until the balance is paid.
Visit www.schoolcafe.com/REDOAKISD to sign up. For additional information, call the Student Nutrition Department at 972-617-2941.