The Rehabilitation Act of 1973, commonly referred to as "Section 504," is a nondiscrimination statute enacted by the United States Congress. The purpose of the Act is to prohibit discrimination and to assure that disabled students have educational opportunities and benefits equal to those provided to nondisabled students.
Based on evaluation data gathered from a variety of sources, a Section 504 Committee will meet to answer the following questions to determine a student’s Section 504 eligibility:
- Does the student have a physical or mental impairment? (This is an educational determination only, and not a medical diagnosis for purposes of treatment.)
- Does the impairment substantially limit one or more major life activities?
If you have questions regarding section 504, you may call the Campus 504 Coordinators listed below:
- Eastridge Elementary: Kelly Barbe (972) 617-2266
- Red Oak Elementary: Angela Barnes (972) 617-3523
- Schupmann Elementary: Angela Bartels (972) 617-2685
- Shields Elementary: Angela Griffin (972) 617-4799
- Wooden Elementary: Aimee Friesenhahn (972) 617-2977
- Red Oak Middle School: Jo Lewis-Gay (972) 617-0066
- Red Oak High School: Paige Patterson (972) 617-3535
District 504 Coordinator
Assistant Director of State and Federal Programs