History of Red Oak ISD
The Red Oak Independent School District was officially established in 1912. The first school was a white-frame building at the corner of Red Oak Road and Methodist Street (current location of the ROISD Education Service Center). All students attended that school. Earliest available records show an enrollment of 245 students.
A storm in April of 1913 swept across Ellis County destroying the first school building by fire from a lightning strike. In 1913, a two and half story brick building was constructed at the same location with a gymnasium added in 1937. Ironically, both buildings were also destroyed by fire in 1963. Eventually the site housed the first elementary school in the district, Red Oak Elementary.
The first secondary campus was built in 1963 on Live Oak Street. This facility served grades 7 through 12. Elementary students were bussed to this campus for lunch daily. In the Fall 1965, enrollment was open to all school-aged children and the district was fully integrated. In 1972, a second wing was added to this campus as the enrollment neared 800.
As the district continued to grow, a $1.25 million bond issue was passed for a new high school and gymnasium on FM 2377. When the building opened in 1976, enrollment had reached 1,133 students. The following spring, construction began on an athletic complex that included a 3000-seat stadium, all-weather track, field house, baseball field and tennis courts.
To learn more about the history of all our campuses, view the "History of Red Oak ISD Campuses" presentation.