Return 2 Campus Safety Plan
Updated August 13. 2020
All Red Oak ISD campuses and facilities will follow the district, local, and state guidelines for health and safety, as well as standard protocols for COVID situations. However, campuses also have operational plans based on their facility for entering and exiting, arrival and dismissal, lunchtime, hallway traffic, etc. The guidelines below are campus-specific, but just like district guidance, they are subject to change based on changing circumstances.
To help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and reduce the potential risk of exposure to our employees and students, we will be following all district level screening and protocols for positive test results.:
CAMPUS SAFETY PROCEDURES
ROISD will practice safety procedures throughout the school day to assist in mitigating the spread of COVID-19. Information regarding face coverings, social distancing guidelines and PPE are available on the Return to Work/Return2Learn plan from ROISD.
CAMPUS HEALTH SCREENINGS
For the health and safety of all students, staff and visitors are mandated to conduct a daily self-screening for COVID-19 symptoms and fever before arriving at school, or boarding school transportation. No individual should enter this facility if they present any of the COVID-19 symptoms.
Upon arrival to the campus, each student/staff member will have their temperature taken. Please review the Return to Work/Return2Learn plan from ROISD for a current list of symptoms. ROHS will follow the Return to Work/Return2Learn plan for students/staff exhibiting symptoms after arrival to the campus.
In addition to using PPE, please remember to:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow
Employees are encouraged to disinfect their own workspace multiple times throughout the day, giving special attention to commonly touched surfaces. ROISD has alcohol-based hand sanitizers throughout the workplace and in common areas. Cleaning sprays and wipes are also available to clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces such as telephones and keyboards. The ROISD Custodial Team will clean all workspaces at their designated cleaning time.
Please note that proper equipment such as acceptable disinfectant and PPE should be used when cleaning individual workspaces.
STUDENT AND TEACHER GROUPINGS
Where feasible without disrupting the educational experience, ROISD will encourage students to practice social distancing.
- In classroom spaces that allow it, we will consider placing student desks as much as instructionally possible.
- In classrooms where students are regularly within six feet of one another, ROHS will plan for more frequent hand washing and/or hand sanitizing and will consider whether increased airflow from the outdoors is possible.
ROHS ARRIVAL PROCEDURES
Arrival time is no earlier than 7:30 unless otherwise permitted by administration or extracurricular
- For students who arrive on a bus in Lot B (East side of School) - Buses unload one by one, and drop-off students who will socially distance while departing the bus and walking to the entrance of the PAC. Students will use one of the two temperature machines at the entrance of PAC, and filter into school.
- For students who arrive on a bus in the front lot (West side of school) - Buses unload one by one, and drop off students who will socially distance while departing the bus and walking to the entrance of the Hawks Nest. Students will use the temperature machine at the entrance of Hawks nest, and filter into school.
- For students who are dropped off in the front lot (West side of school) - Students will stay socially distant while entering into the Hawks nest entrance. Students will use the temperature machine at the entrance of Hawks Nest, and filter into school adhering to flow of traffic in hallways.
- For students arriving by car in Lot A, B, C - Students will stay socially distant while entering into the gymnasium entrance. Students will use the temperature machine at the entrance of gym, and filter into school adhering to flow of traffic in hallways.
Star denotes entrances | arrows denotes flow of traffic in hallways
Social distance signs will be placed in lunch lines, cafeteria, hallways, and in the Hawks Nest.
- Sanitizer will be available to clean hands upon entering cafeteria and lunch lines.
- Students are able to wash with soap and water utilizing the restrooms on both sides of the cafeteria.
- Students will be seated 6 ft. apart from one another in the cafeteria, during breakfast and lunch times.
- The Hawks Nest will be utilized for an overflow area, if needed, to ensure social distance seating.
- Students must remain in cafeteria and/or Hawks Nest, during their designated lunch period.
- Upon arrival bus riders, car riders, and student drivers will enter through separate doors.
- Students who would like breakfast will remain in the cafeteria until dismissed for class, to assist with social distancing.
- Students who arrive by bus will remain in the PAC until dismissed for class, to assist with social distancing.
- Students who arrive by car, will remain in the gym until dismissed for class, to assist with social distancing.
- Plexi glass covering will be installed at food kiosks, to prevent cross-contamination.
- The cafeteria staff will wear gloves and masks, while serving.
- Students will retrieve a food tray that includes, pre-packaged and prepared food items from each food line.
- Nutrition staff will provide prepackaged breakfast at student entry points, to assist with social distancing and minimize crowding in the lunch line area.
- Assigned lunch duty staff will monitor various location points during each lunch period.
- Administrators and assigned staff will monitor to ensure social distance.
- Nutrition staff will provide envelopes for meal payment drop off, at the front office.
- It has been suggested that if student has cash, to drop off their envelope in the mornings.
- Students will be advised to utilize MySchoolBucks for non-contact meal payments.
No parents/visitors during lunch at this time. Cafeteria staff will be trained in COVID-19 safety protocols.
Bringing or sharing refreshments during meetings is prohibited in order to limit the risk of contamination. Snack items, candy, and drinks will not be provided until further notice. We ask that there be no food delivered and that food be kept at your assigned space. Personal deliveries such as packages should not be delivered to ROHS.
ELECTIVES AND OTHER ACTIVITIES
PHYSICAL EDUCATION (PE)
- Whenever possible, physical education classes will be held outside to allow for maximum physical distance between students.
- Activities requiring close physical contact or multiple students touching the same equipment will be avoided.
- Equipment will be disinfected after each use.
- Sanitizing areas and access to hand washing will be provided. Time will be dedicated to hand washing/hand sanitizing before and after physical activity.
EXTRACURRICULAR AND STUDENT ORGANIZATION PARTICIPATION
- All UIL co-curricular and extracurricular programs are conducted in alignment with UIL guidelines & COVID-19 protocols
- Non-UIL student programs follow the same COVID-19 related guidelines & protocols as UIL programs
- Use of face coverings is implemented as feasible
- UIL updated guidance is expected, and additional information will be provided
- When possible, students will access literature virtually by using SORA.
- Students and staff will sanitize hands upon entering and exiting the library.
- Returned books/materials will remain on a cart for three days prior to being reshelved.
- Visual reminders will be added and furniture rearranged to help students maintain social distancing while in the library.
- Surfaces will be disinfected regularly.
ART/MUSIC AND COMPUTER LAB
- Classroom social distancing practices will be followed.
- Students will have assigned seats.
- Students will wash/sanitize hands before and after class.
- Surfaces will be disinfected regularly.
Passing periods may be adjusted and staggered to discourage mingling dependent upon number of students on campus. Hallways and staircase have been designated as one way traffic. Staff members should actively monitor hallways to ensure students adhere to social distancing guidelines. Classroom doors should be propped open during transitions to limit contact with door handles. Student sanitize their hands as they enter and leave classroom.
First Floor Hall Transition Map:
Second and Third Floors Hall Transition Maps:
OTHER CAMPUS PROCEDURES
- Restrooms will be limited in the number of students at a time. Signage will be posted to remind students to social distance and proper hand washing techniques..
- Teachers and staff will remind student’s proper hand washing/ use of hand sanitizer throughout the school day.
- Students/Teachers will limit the use of shared school supplies as much as instructionally possible.
- Water fountains will be for refill only.
ROHS DISMISSAL PROCEDURES
- For students leaving school in a car, parents call, or walking, or getting to practice, game, or extra curricular practice - upon the bell ringing, students will depart school using flow of traffic regulations, and exiting the nearest door possible.
- For students departing on a bus - Students will stay in the classroom and wait for the Google spreadsheet to be displayed on the classroom projector to identify that their bus has arrived and is waiting. Students will then use hallway traffic regulations to exit the nearest Lot B door and stay socially distanced while loading the bus.
- Students leaving the building need to stay socially distanced while exiting the school and refrain from gathering in groups.
STAFF AND STUDENT TRAINING
All Red Oak High School staff will receive the district level training prior to the first day of school. In addition, Red Oak High School will review the safety protocols and monitor implementation throughout the school year. Changes and adjustments will be made to support safety for all students and staff.
Students will receive ongoing lessons on safety protocols and campus procedures. We will embed additional lessons throughout the year to address any needs.