Return 2 Campus Safety Plan
Updated August 13, 2020
All Red Oak ISD campuses and facilities will follow the district, local, and state guidelines for health and safety, as well as standard protocols for COVID situations. However, campuses also have operational plans based on their facility for entering and exiting, arrival and dismissal, lunchtime, hallway traffic, etc. The guidelines below are campus-specific, but just like district guidance, they are subject to change based on changing circumstances.
To help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and reduce the potential risk of exposure to our employees and students, we will be following all district level screening and protocols for positive test results.:
CAMPUS SAFETY PROCEDURES
ROISD will practice safety procedures throughout the school day to assist in mitigating the spread of COVID-19. Information regarding face coverings, social distancing guidelines and PPE are available on the Return to Work/Return2Learn plan from ROISD.
CAMPUS HEALTH SCREENINGS
For the health and safety of all students, staff and visitors are mandated to conduct a daily self-screening for COVID-19 symptoms and fever before arriving at school, or boarding school transportation. No individual should enter this facility if they present any of the COVID-19 symptoms.
Upon arrival to the campus, each student/staff member will have their temperature taken. Please review the Return to Work/Return2Learn plan from ROISD for a current list of symptoms. Shields will follow the Return to Work/Return2Learn plan for students/staff exhibiting symptoms after arrival to the campus.
In addition to using PPE, please remember to:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow
Employees are encouraged to disinfect their own workspace multiple times throughout the day, giving special attention to commonly touched surfaces. ROISD has alcohol-based hand sanitizers throughout the workplace and in common areas. Cleaning sprays and wipes are also available to clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces such as telephones and keyboards. The ROISD Custodial Team will clean all workspaces at their designated cleaning time.
Please note that proper equipment such as acceptable disinfectant and PPE should be used when cleaning individual workspaces.
STUDENT AND TEACHER GROUPINGS
Where feasible without disrupting the educational experience, ROISD will encourage students to practice social distancing.
- In classroom spaces that allow it, we will consider placing student desks as much as instructionally possible.
- In classrooms where students are regularly within six feet of one another, Shields will plan for more frequent hand washing and/or hand sanitizing and will consider whether increased airflow from the outdoors is possible.
SHIELDS ARRIVAL PROCEDURES
In order to properly social distance and provide enough staffing, we ask that parents avoid early drop offs in the mornings. We encourage all car riders to drop off after 7:00 a.m. to allow for adequate social distancing during arrival. Students will arrive by car or bus and will enter one of the main entrances.
Parents/guardians will not be able to leave their cars or enter the building. Parents wishing to meet with teachers or office staff will need to make appointments and if necessary, return at a time when students and staff are inside the classrooms.
Students choosing to eat breakfast will sit at tables by homeroom. Seats will be spaced out for social distancing.
Students choosing not to eat breakfast will wait in designated locations until a grade level teacher is available to escort to the grade level pod. Teachers will begin escorting students to grade level pods by no later than 7:20 a.m.
CAR RIDERS 7:00-7:25 a.m.
- Temperature screening before students exit vehicle
- Temps over 100 will have to be taken home
- Students will enter into cafeteria
CAR RIDERS AFTER 7:25 a.m.
- All students will need to go around to the front office entrance
- Students will exit the vehicle when stopped without staff opening the doors
BUS & DAYCARE 6:50 a.m.
- Temperature screening as student exit bus
- Temps over 100 will be escorted to nurse (parents have 30 minutes to pick up)
- Students will enter into cafeteria
Students may bring their own meals or be served individually plated meals and will be spaced throughout the cafeteria to create distance between students.
No parents/visitors during lunch at this time. Classes will go to lunch on a staggered schedule to minimize the number of students in the cafeteria each period. Students will wash their hands or use hand sanitizer prior to and following lunch. Students will have assigned seats and visual placements will be marked with colored labels. Classes will be staggered in arrival to minimize waiting in lunch lines. Lunch tables will be spaced to allow social distancing. Time will be scheduled between lunches to allow for proper cleaning of all surfaces.
Tables grouped by homeroom, allowing for contact tracing, while still maintaining 3-6 feet distance apart.
Bringing or sharing refreshments during meetings is prohibited in order to limit the risk of contamination. Snack items, candy, and drinks will not be provided until further notice. We ask that there be no food delivered and that food be kept at your assigned space. Personal deliveries such as packages should not be delivered to Shields. This restriction will include classroom birthday celebrations and class celebrations at this time.
SPECIALS AND OTHER ACTIVITIES
PHYSICAL EDUCATION (PE)
- Whenever possible, physical education classes will be held outside to allow for maximum physical distance between students.
- Activities requiring close physical contact or multiple students touching the same equipment will be avoided.
- Equipment will be disinfected after each use.
- Sanitizing areas and access to hand washing will be provided. Time will be dedicated to hand washing/hand sanitizing before and after physical activity.
- When the weather permits students will be allowed to have the standard recess time.
- Students will attend recess within their grade level.
- Students will wash their hands or use hand sanitizer before and after recess.
- Students playing outside more than 3-6 feet apart will not be required to wear masks
- Based on the number of students present, students may be assigned to a zone on the playground - see maps below:
Recess areas zoned and limited to one homeroom at a time.
- When possible, students will access literature virtually by using SORA.
- Students and staff will sanitize hands upon entering and exiting the library.
- Returned books/materials will remain on a cart for three days prior to being reshelved.
- Visual reminders will be added and furniture rearranged to help students maintain social distancing while in the library.
- Surfaces will be disinfected regularly.
ART / MUSIC AND COMPUTER LAB
- Classroom social distancing practices will be followed.
- Students will have assigned seats.
- Students will wash/sanitize hands before and after class.
- Surfaces will be disinfected regularly.
OTHER CAMPUS PROCEDURES
- Students and staff will walk on the right side of the hallway to help maintain social distancing.
- Restrooms will be limited in the number of students at a time. Signage will be posted to remind students to social distance and proper hand washing techniques..
- As much as possible students will utilize restrooms within their grade level pod.
- If taking a class break, students will use social distancing in the classroom pod.
- Teachers and staff will remind students proper hand washing/ use of hand sanitizer throughout the school day.
- Students/Teachers will limit the use of shared school supplies as much as instructionally possible.
SHIELDS DISMISSAL PROCEDURES
- Students will remain in the classroom or in grade level groups until their dismissal group is called. Student groups may be spread out between the cafeteria, gym or grade level pods. Dismissal will be staggered to minimize crowding in the hallway.
- Bus riders will be dismissed by bus number.
- Car riders and daycares will dismiss after the majority of buses have left. Social distancing will be a priority during dismissal.
- Once the majority of car riders have dismissed After the Bell and Walkers will be dismissed.
- Masks will be worn through all dismissal.
CAR RIDERS 3:00-3:15 p.m.
- Students will exit from the cafeteria
- All remaining students after carpool left after 3:15 p.m. will be brought to the front of the school for pick up.
BUS RIDERS 3:00 p.m.
- Bus riders will be seated in the gym by bus number
- Sibling groups will be placed together
- Teachers will monitor each line and dismiss as buses arrive
- All students will be dismissed by grade level pods to prevent overcrowding in the hallways
- Students will social distance while waiting to be picked up
STAFF AND STUDENT TRAINING
All Shields Elementary staff will receive the district level training prior to the first day of school. In addition, Shields Elementary will review the safety protocols and monitor implementation throughout the school year. Changes and adjustments will be made to support safety for all students and staff.
Students will receive ongoing lessons on safety protocols and campus procedures. We will embed additional lessons throughout the year to address any needs.
MEET THE TEACHER
Shields Meet the Teacher will take place on August 18 from 2:00 - 5:30 p.m. An electronic sign up will be emailed to parents the week of August 10. Families will sign up for a 30 minute time frame to visit the campus. The number of slots will be limited for each time period. Families will be screened before entering the building. Masks will be required of all visitors 3 years and older. Families will be asked to social distance throughout the building.
Students receiving At-Home Instruction will be given virtual meet the teacher times to visit with their teacher and receive initial information regarding the first week of school.