Return 2 Campus Safety Plan
Updated August 16, 2021
To help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and reduce the potential risk of exposure to our employees and students, we will be following all district-level screening and protocols for positive test results.:
Please review the Return to Work/Return2Learn plan from ROISD.
CAMPUS SAFETY PROCEDURES
ROISD will practice safety procedures throughout the school day to assist in mitigating the spread of COVID-19. Information regarding face coverings, social distancing guidelines, and PPE are available on the Return to Work/Return2Learn plan from ROISD.
CAMPUS HEALTH SCREENINGS
For the health and safety of all students, staff and visitors are mandated to conduct a daily self-screening for COVID-19 symptoms and fever before arriving at school, or boarding school transportation. No individual should enter this facility if they present any of the COVID-19 symptoms.
Please review the Return to Work/Return2Learn plan from ROISD for a current list of symptoms. Campuses will follow the Return to Work/Return2Learn plan for students/staff exhibiting symptoms after arrival to the campus.
In addition to using PPE, please remember to:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow
Employees are encouraged to disinfect their own workspace multiple times throughout the day, giving special attention to commonly touched surfaces. ROISD has alcohol-based hand sanitizers throughout the workplace and in common areas. Cleaning sprays and wipes are also available to clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces such as telephones and keyboards. The ROISD Custodial Team will clean all workspaces at their designated cleaning time.
Please note that proper equipment such as acceptable disinfectants and PPE should be used when cleaning individual workspaces.
STUDENT AND TEACHER GROUPINGS
Where feasible without disrupting the educational experience, ROISD will encourage students to practice social distancing.
- In classroom spaces that allow it, we will consider placing student desks as much as instructionally possible.
- In classrooms where students are regularly within six feet of one another, Shields will plan for more frequent hand washing and/or hand sanitizing and will consider whether increased airflow from the outdoors is possible.
SHIELDS ARRIVAL PROCEDURES
Car riders will be welcomed into the building through the back entrance from the Ovilla road parking lot entrance road between Little Hawks and Church of the Nazarene from 7am to 7:25am.
- PK-2nd grade students will use the far right “inside” lane
- 3rd-5th grade students will use the far left “outside” lane
- Families with multiple children, default to the youngest child in the vehicle
- Staff will be assigned to help monitor arrival, but students should exit the vehicle upon safe stopping next to sidewalk
- Please have student prepared and ready to exit the vehicle in an efficient manner
- If student is having trouble exiting the vehicle quickly, please pull forward to the “waiting zone” to prevent traffic back ups
- Parents/guardians will not be able to leave their cars or enter the building. Parents wishing to meet with teachers or office staff will need to make appointments and if necessary, return at a time when students and staff are inside the classrooms.
After bus or car riding students enter the building, they will head to the cafeteria to eat free breakfast and will be sat by grade level.
- Students choosing not to eat breakfast, will be transitioned to their classroom lines (PK-K in café, 1-5 in gym) until a grade level teacher is available to escort to the grade level pod. Teachers will begin escorting students to grade level pods between 7:15 and 7:20.
- Students arriving to school after 7:25 will be motioned towards the front parking lot, and will need to escort the student in the front office to complete a tardy pass.
Students may bring their own meals or be served individually plated meals free from student nutrition services.
- No parents will be allowed to visit during lunch until notified by ROISD.
- Cafeteria staff will be trained in COVID-19 safety protocols.
- Classes will go to lunch on a staggered schedule to minimize the number of students in the cafeteria each period.
- Students will wash their hands or use hand sanitizer prior to and following lunch.
- Students will have assigned seats to ensure seating by their “COVID Cluster.”
- Time will be scheduled between lunches to allow for proper cleaning of all surfaces.
- Any deliveries please leave at the designated table in the vestibule and ring bell. Ensure student first & last name and grade level is on the item.
- Personal deliveries such as packages should not be delivered to Shields.
- Individually wrapped-prepackaged items will be allowed for birthday celebrations and class celebrations at this time.
SPECIALS AND OTHER ACTIVITIES
PHYSICAL EDUCATION (PE)
- Whenever possible, physical education classes will be held outside to allow for maximum physical distance between students.
- Activities requiring close physical contact or multiple students touching the same equipment will be avoided.
- Equipment will be disinfected after each use.
- Sanitizing areas and access to handwashing will be provided. Time will be dedicated to hand washing/hand sanitizing before and after physical activity.
- When the weather permits students will be allowed to have the standard recess time.
- Students will attend recess within their grade level.
- Students will wash their hands or use hand sanitizer before and after recess.
- Students and staff will sanitize hands upon entering and exiting the library.
- Visual reminders will be added and furniture rearranged to help students maintain social distancing while in the library.
- Surfaces will be disinfected regularly.
ART / MUSIC AND COMPUTER LAB
- Classroom social distancing practices will be followed.
- Students will have assigned seats.
- Students will wash/sanitize their hands before and after class.
- Surfaces will be disinfected regularly.
OTHER CAMPUS PROCEDURES
- Teachers and staff will remind students of proper handwashing/ use of hand sanitizer throughout the school day.
- Students/teachers will limit the use of shared school supplies as much as instructionally possible.
SHIELDS DISMISSAL PROCEDURES
- Students will remain in grade level groups until their dismissal group is called.
- Dismissal will be staggered to minimize crowding in the hallway.
- Bus riders will be dismissed first by designated staff. Car riders and day cares will dismiss after the majority of buses have left.
CAR RIDERS 3:00-3:15 p.m.
- Students will exit from the cafeteria
- All remaining students after carpool left after 3:15 p.m. will be brought to the front of the school for pick up.
BUS RIDERS 3:00 p.m.
- Bus riders will be seated in the gym by bus number
- Sibling groups will be placed together
- Teachers will monitor each line and dismiss as buses arrive
SOCIAL-EMOTIONAL WELL-BEING OF STUDENTS AND STAFF
The district/campus counselors will develop videos and resources for parents and teachers to access. The counselors will work with students individually or in small groups to address any well-being needs.
STAFF AND STUDENT TRAINING
Shields Elementary will review the safety protocols and monitor implementation throughout the school year. Changes and adjustments will be made to support safety for all students and staff.
Students will receive ongoing lessons on safety protocols and campus procedures. We will embed additional lessons throughout the year to address any needs.
MEET THE TEACHER
Shields Meet the Teacher will take place on Monday, August 16, 2021 from 6:00-7:00 p.m.
FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL
Parents are welcome to walk their students inside the building and into class on the FIRST DAY of SCHOOL only.
- Parents who plan to enter the building will need to park in the front parking lot no earlier than 7am.
- Parents who plan to enter the building will need to enter the front parking lot from the entrance located off of Ovilla Rd between Little Hawks and the shopping center.
- All parents will be expected to clear campus no later than 7:45am
- Adults not accompanied by a Shields’ Student will not be allowed to enter the campus.