Red Oak ISD Offers Early Childhood/Half-Day Pre-Kindergarten at all elementary campuses. Hours vary between campuses.
2019-2020 class schedule:
7:40 - 10:55 a.m. AM class @ Shields Elementary
11:55 - 3:10 p.m. PM class @ Shields Elementary
Eligibility requirements for Pre-K is set forth by the State of Texas.
This is the Criteria from the Student Attendance Accounting Handbook for PK:
Children must be four years of age on September 1 of the current school year (September 1, 2019 for 2019-2020 school year) and must meet one of the following requirements:
- be unable to speak and comprehend the English language; or
- be educationally disadvantaged (eligible to participate in the National School Lunch Program [NSLP];
- be homeless; or
- be the child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserved component of the armed forces, who is ordered to active duty by proper authority; or
- be the child of a member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserved component of the armed forces, who was injured or killed while serving on active duty; or
- have ever been in the conservatorship of the Texas DFPS (foster care) following an adversary hearing.
- is the child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas Award such as:
- a peace officer under Section 3106.002, Government Code; or
- a firefighter under Section 3106.003, Government Code; or
- an emergency medical first responder under Section 3106.004, Government Code.
In Red Oak ISD we believe in providing a quality Pre-Kindergarten experience. We believe that families play a large part in the success of the students. As a result, we strive to provide resources that will foster a positive relationship between the parent and the school.
Where will my child attend school?
Assignment to a campus is dependent on program schedule and availability. Pre-K campus assignments may not correspond with elementary school attendance zone boundaries. Families will be notified in August of their student's campus and time.
How do I register?
Follow the instructions on the New Student Enrollment site. After finishing the online process, go to any elementary campus to complete enrollment verification. Be sure to bring originals of the required documents
To learn more about the state requirements visit TEA website -Texas Pre-Kindergarten Guidelines
For more information on Red Oak ISD's Early Childhood Program, please contact the Curriculum Department