Return 2 Campus Safety Plan
Updated August 12, 2021
To help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and reduce the potential risk of exposure to our employees and students, we will be following all district-level screening and protocols for positive test results.:
CAMPUS SAFETY PROCEDURES
ROISD will practice safety procedures throughout the school day to assist in mitigating the spread of COVID-19. Information regarding face coverings, social distancing guidelines, and PPE are available on the Return to Work/Return2Learn plan from ROISD.
CAMPUS HEALTH SCREENINGS
For the health and safety of all students, staff and visitors are mandated to conduct a daily self-screening for COVID-19 symptoms and fever before arriving at school, or boarding school transportation. No individual should enter this facility if they present any of the COVID-19 symptoms.
Please review the Return to Work/Return2Learn plan from ROISD for a current list of symptoms. Campuses will follow the Return to Work/Return2Learn plan for students/staff exhibiting symptoms after arrival to the campus.
In addition to using PPE, please remember to:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow
Employees are encouraged to disinfect their own workspace multiple times throughout the day, giving special attention to commonly touched surfaces. ROISD has alcohol-based hand sanitizers throughout the workplace and in common areas. Cleaning sprays and wipes are also available to clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces such as telephones and keyboards. The ROISD Custodial Team will clean all workspaces at their designated cleaning time.
Please note that proper equipment such as acceptable disinfectants and PPE should be used when cleaning individual workspaces.
STUDENT AND TEACHER GROUPINGS
Where feasible without disrupting the educational experience, ROISD will encourage students to practice social distancing.
- In classroom spaces that allow it, we will consider placing student desks apart as much as instructionally possible.
- In classrooms where students are regularly within three feet of one another, ROISD schools will plan for more frequent hand washing and/or hand sanitizing and will consider whether increased airflow from the outdoors is possible.
ROE ARRIVAL PROCEDURES
In order to properly social distance and provide enough staffing, we ask that parents avoid early drop-offs in the mornings. We encourage all car riders to drop off after 7:00 a.m. to allow for adequate social distancing during arrival. Students will arrive by car or bus and will enter one of the main entrances.
Parents/guardians will not be able to leave their cars or enter the building. Parents wishing to meet with teachers or office staff will need to make appointments and if necessary, return at a time when students and staff are inside the classrooms.
Students wanting to eat breakfast will sit at tables by bus number. Seats will be spaced out for social distancing. Car riders needing to eat breakfast will be seated by grade level.
Students choosing not to eat breakfast will wait in designated locations until a grade-level teacher is available to escort them to the grade level pod. Teachers will begin escorting students to grade-level pods by no later than 7:20 a.m.
Students may bring their own meals or be served individually plated meals and will be spaced throughout the cafeteria to create distance between students.
- No parents/visitors during lunch at this time.
- Classes will go to lunch on a staggered schedule to minimize the number of students in the cafeteria each period.
- Students will wash their hands or use hand sanitizer prior to and following lunch.
- Students will have assigned seats and visual placements will be marked with colored labels.
- Classes will be staggered in arrival to minimize waiting in lunch lines.
- Lunch tables will be spaced to allow social distancing.
Bringing or sharing refreshments during meetings is prohibited in order to limit the risk of contamination.
- We ask that there be no food delivered and that food be kept at your assigned space.
- Personal deliveries such as packages should not be delivered to Red Oak Elementary.
- Items brought for classroom birthday celebrations and class celebrations must be prepackaged and individually wrapped.
SPECIALS AND OTHER ACTIVITIES
PHYSICAL EDUCATION (PE)
- Whenever possible, physical education classes will be held outside to allow for maximum physical distance between students.
- Activities requiring close physical contact or multiple students touching the same equipment will be avoided.
- Equipment will be disinfected after each use.
- Sanitizing areas and access to handwashing will be provided. Time will be dedicated to hand washing/hand sanitizing before and after physical activity.
- When the weather permits students will be allowed to have the standard recess time.
- Students will attend recess within their grade level.
- Students will wash their hands or use hand sanitizer before and after recess.
- When possible, students will access literature virtually by using SORA.
- Students and staff will sanitize hands upon entering and exiting the library.
- Surfaces will be disinfected regularly.
ART / MUSIC AND COMPUTER LAB
- Students will have assigned seats.
- Students will wash/sanitize their hands before and after class.
- Surfaces will be disinfected regularly.
OTHER CAMPUS PROCEDURES
- Students and staff will walk on the right side of the hallway to help maintain social distancing.
- Restrooms will be limited in the number of students at a time. Signage will be posted to remind students to social distance and proper handwashing techniques.
- As much as possible students will utilize restrooms within their grade level pod.
- If taking a class break, students will use social distancing in the classroom pod.
- Teachers and staff will remind students of proper handwashing/ use of hand sanitizer throughout the school day.
- Students/Teachers will limit the use of shared school supplies as much as instructionally possible.
ROE DISMISSAL PROCEDURES
- Students will remain in the classroom or in grade-level groups until their dismissal group is called. Student groups may be spread out between the cafeteria, gym, or grade level pods. Dismissal will be staggered to minimize crowding in the hallway.
- All staff will be on duty.
STAFF AND STUDENT TRAINING
Red Oak Elementary will review the safety protocols and monitor implementation throughout the school year. Changes and adjustments will be made to support safety for all students and staff.
MEET THE TEACHER
Red Oak ES Meet the Teacher will take place on Monday, August 16, 2021 from 6:00-7:00 p.m. Masks are recommended regardless of vaccination status and families will be asked to social distance throughout the building.