- Donald T. Shields Elementary
Red Oak ISD Fall 2020 Activity Plans Update
Updated Oct. 8, 2020
After further discussion, the district has determined the following decisions for campus and district activities for November and December 2020. The goal is to maintain health and safety procedures for campuses to help reduce the spread of COVID-19. We know we want ‘normalcy’ but we must be responsible for providing a safe environment for our students, staff, families, and community. We will continue to evaluate future events and provide updates as they become available.
The current decision is for gatherings through December, or as noted.
- Campuses may host virtual or Zoom parent gatherings such as Coffee with the Principal, etc.
- It is encouraged for campuses to re-scheduled activities for the spring when possible.
- Schools wishing to host an event in November or December shall submit an event proposal with a detailed safety plan AT LEAST two (2) weeks before the event to Asst. Supt. Kevin Freels who will bring the proposal to the next Tuesday Cabinet for review.
- Campus events shall be hosted on the school grounds; use of other ISD facilities will not be permitted.
- Campuses are encouraged to host outdoor events or multiple functions, and limit capacity.
- The safety plan must include contingencies and confirmed campus staffing to ensure participants and guests follow social distancing and comply with mandatory face coverings at ROISD events.
Campus Extra-Curricular/UIL Activities:
- All UIL-sanctioned and scheduled events such as athletic games, region band contests, and choir will be governed by UIL guidelines and timelines. Events will have limited public attendance and participation will be limited to essential students and staff only.
- Home varsity football games will be broadcast online (internet) through Sportsgram (as allowed by UIL this year) and FREE to viewers. We encourage our fans to watch safely from their homes!
- For those who do attend, seating will be marked as available and not-available, all general admission, and on a first-come, first-seated basis. Extra staff will be on hand to ensure social distancing compliance.
- All guests and participants (sponsors, coaches, and students) must wear a mask or face covering, including: on ALL district (or contracted) transportation, when entering and exiting buildings, in the stands, and on sidelines or benches where feasible. Active participants are not required to wear a mask on the field or court.
- Travel to away games will be limited to on-field or on-court participants and at the discretion of the sponsor. At this time, that means away games will only include the football team, managers, athletic trainers, and cheer, if they elect to attend. Band and drill will not travel to away games due to seating in the stands.
- District facilities will be only for ROISD functions at this time.
- The district will not host any large gatherings, but will instead seek alternatives such as drive-thru events, drop-offs, social media events, or virtual gatherings.
- The Education Foundation golf tournament will follow local city orders.
- Virtual Candidate Forum scheduled for October 8 by the Red Oak ISD Council of PTAs and Red Oak Area Chamber of Commerce
- The Red Oak ISD Community Advisory Council started in September on a virtual basis, while the Community Partners Academy has been canceled for this year.
*Subject to change; not an exclusive listing of activities. Contact your campus or the district for specific inquires.