Hawk Scholars is a cohort of selected ROHS students who will participate in extensive Dual Credit coursework beginning in their freshman year of high school with the goal of earning an Associate’s Degree through Navarro during high school that will be accepted intact by the University of Texas at Arlington.
In order to apply, a portfolio of work must be submitted with the components described below. The submitted documents should provide evidence that the student is ready for college level work.
Download the HAWK SCHOLARS ACADEMY APPLICATION PACKET FOR 2020-21.
- Pages must be in a one-inch binder or a pocket folder with brads; file folders or envelopes are not acceptable. The choice of presentation is not a factor in portfolio evaluation.
- Please include a Title Page with the student's name.
- Ensure that portfolio documents are copies, not originals.
- Required documents (Please include these components in the order specified below. Failure to provide all requested documents will result in a lower rating.)
- A score report from at least one attempt at the TSI test (Passing results are not required for initial application. However, students must be TSI complete in Reading and Writing by the end of their eighth grade year in order to begin the program.)
- A completed Applicant Information and Acknowledgements page
- A handwritten writing sample by the student: “Why I desire to apply to Hawk Scholars Academy”
- (Please contact Paula Barnes at ROMS if accommodations are required.)
- A copy of the 3rd six weeks report card
- A copy of the most current state testing score reports (those subjects available at the time of submission)
- A minimum of two Reference Recommendations from those that have known the students educationally within the past two years. (These forms are intended to show that the student is ready to be successful in college level work. The reference forms will be delivered directly to the eighth grade counselor, so please ensure that name and privacy selections are completed at the top of the form.)
- Acknowledgment that the student has completed the Apply Texas application by providing the Applytexas ID number is his/her portfolio.
Please compile the information and submit your portfolio to Paula Barnes at the Middle School no later than Feb 21, 2020.
Late submissions, if considered at all, will be considered separately from on-time submissions.
- Upon review of the applicants’ testing results and portfolios, selected applicants will be contacted to schedule a panel interview with representatives from ROISD, Navarro, and UTA.
- Students must meet college entrance testing criteria. On-site TSI testing at ROMS/ ROHS is available and can be scheduled through the Counseling Office.
- Please note that testing fees apply.
- Minimum scores on the TSI test are a score of 5 on the essay and ABE diagnostic of 4, OR 4 on the essay with at least 340 on writing, 351 on reading, and 350 on mathematics according to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. (These scores are valid until the end of August, 2020.)
- Students must be TSI complete in Reading and Writing and must have attempted the math portion by the last day of the 2019-2020 school year.
- Students accepted to the program will be contacted during late spring 2020.
- Students who do not meet the math score requirement will be accepted on a probationary status with the understanding that they must meet the TSI math requirement by the last day of their ninth grade year to remain in the program.
- Students must be enrolled at ROHS and accepted by Navarro before beginning coursework in Hawk Scholars Academy.
For additional information, please contact the Curriculum Department at 972-617-2941